Posts tagged ie
<textarea id="description" name="description">Here is some text</textarea>
var myElement = document.getElementById('description');
alert(myElement.value.length); //alert: 17
Every time I tried to execute that code in IE it would complain that
'value.length' is null or not an object.
After a whole crap load of debugging I finally tracked it down to the fact that IE was actually referencing the <meta name=”description”> tag in the head section of the page. Yeah, see even though the function is getElementById, IE still thought I meant the element with the name attribute equal to “description”. Or as my brother put it in a comment to the original post (before the comments were wiped in the great Data Loss of ’06), maybe IE thought I was calling the getJustAboutAnythingIFeelLike() function…
Damn you IE for making me have to change my ID attributes to suite your leisurely implementation of the DOM!
* This post was originally published on April 5, 2007 at http://www.csb7.com/blogs/whyblogwhy/2007/04/05/ie_getelementbyid_bug_strikes_again
I came across a bug in Internet Explorer whereby the document.getElementById() function may return an element with a name attribute equal to the id that is specified. This can cause unexpected results.
According to the W3C’s DOM Level 2 Core Specification:
getElementByIdintroduced in DOM Level 2
IDis given by
elementId. If no such element exists, returns
null. Behavior is not defined if more than one element has this
Note: The DOM implementation must have information that says which attributes are of type ID. Attributes with the name “ID” are not of type ID unless so defined. Implementations that do not know whether attributes are of type ID or not are expected to return
- The unique
idvalue for an element.
The matching element.
However, for the browsers that failed the test, it appears that their implimentation of getElementById returns the first element where the ID or name attribute is equal to the specified ID.
This bug was tested against the following browsers:
- IE 6.0 sp2: failed
- IE 5.5: failed
- IE 5.01: failed
- Netscape 7.2: passed
- Netscape 6: passed
- Mozilla 1.7.3: passed
- Opera 8.2: failed
- Firefox 1.0.6: passed
For instance, the following code should produce an alert with “foo=foo; bar=bar”. However, the browsers that fail the test actually return “foo=foo; bar=foo”.
<input name="bar" type="text" id="foo" value="foo" /><br />
<input name="foo" type="text" id="bar" value="bar" readonly="readonly" /><br />
<input type="button" name="Button" value="Test" onclick="alert(’foo=’+document.getElementById(’foo’).value+’; bar=’+document.getElementById(’bar’).value)" /><br />
Reported at http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/index.html 2005-08-29
* This post was originally published on August 29, 2005 at http://www.csb7.com/whyblogwhy/index.php/2005/08/29/ie_getelementbyid_bug/